Sunday, April 25, 2010

Block the Sun

I am freaked out about global warming, and I want to start talking about real solutions to this real problem. My inspiration is an old episode of the Simpsons where Mr. Burns blocked out the sun. I think we need to start talking about this tangible solution, and how we can stop global warming by stopping the sun's rays from reaching the planet's surface. What else can we do? The redistribution of wealth is a start, but that real action will not act as fast as blocking the sun from heating our planet any more than it is. We need to cover our continent in a giant tarp. We need to cover Greenland in a very expensive sun reflecting carpet before the civilized world is underwater.

It is a choice made for us by our lack of options. Block the sun!

4 comments:

  1. Er...perhaps I might be just a wee bit off the mark here, but I was under the impression that the Greenland ice cap itself reflexed solar rays.

    Personally as someone who has spent all of his life in the northern 45° of the globe, I'm not all that adverse to global warming...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cynical charicaturization is neither funny nor constructive. I hope your children will have the sympathetic understanding you seem to lack, so that when they look back on today they will be able to forgive you for selling out their future.

    Your mindset of stereotyping all views that are to the left of yours is either out of ignorance of the facts or a moral weakness of simply not caring about the most disadvantaged.

    For all our sakes, I hope you and people like you can let go of partisan notions in order to tackle issues meaningfully - but that takes a strength of character that ideologues, both on the left and right, do not possess.

    ReplyDelete